Spartans Gear up for Last Game in First Round District Play

(File photo) Jumping to set the ball over the net, junior Desiree Soto scores a point against the Montwood Rams on Sept. 13. Photo by Nevaeh Buntyn

Nevaeh Buntyn, Editor

After a losing battle against Franklin on Friday, Sept. 16, the Spartans fight to get a 3-5 run for their district record half way through.

Starting the game off, Freshman Melina Gonzalez gets her fist kill against the Cougars, attempting to get the energy rolling for the Spartans.

Soon after, coming off the bench, junior Justyne Sierra comes in and boosts the tempo of the game.

“I tried my best to give my one hundred percent for myself and my team,” said Sierra. “We had a lot of ups and downs but I feel like we could work on coverage and working better as a team.”

Spartans lose the first set 25-16.

Working all over the floor, libero Victoria Leyva, a junior, gets 20 digs to set up the plays for her hitters.

Senior Flor Lazo, spikes the ball creating first point for pebbles in the second set.

Franklin cougars then go on to serve multiple out of bounds, earning free points for our Spartans.

Despite the pick up of points and long plays between the two teams, Franklin wins the set 25-17.

Going into the final set of the game, junior Desiree Soto gets on the court and shows fight to try and win the game.

“I just wanted to show that I should be and belong on the court,” said Soto.

Finishing the game off, Cougars take yet another and last set 25-18, winning the game over all against the the Pebble Hills Spartans.

Huddling up after the game, Coach Marcela Rocha encourages the team to have a fighting and wanting spirit going into the next games, to have a shot at play-offs.

“The way we keep our positivity is to remind them not to dwell on their mistakes, there is always an opportunity to correct them,” said coach Rocha. “Mistakes don’t define them, its what they do after.”

After that tough loss, the Spartans will play against the Eastlake Falcons, Tuesday, Sept. 20 attempting to take a win after losing five out of seven district games so far.

File photos taken by Nevaeh Buntyn.