The Teal Tribune

The Student News Site of Pebble Hills High School

The Teal Tribune

The Teal Tribune

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Tennis Wins Montwood-Americas Tournament Championship

“We all feel that this year we have the best lineup of players, and the best team in order to qualify for district.” -Evelyn Gomez Luna
Senior Luisa Fernanda Valadez-De Los Santos uses her forehand Friday morning during her match against the Austin Panthers Aug. 18. Photo by Alexa Ramirez

Tennis continues on a hot start as they defeated Austin to pick up their fifth win of the season in their first match of the Montwood-Americas Tournament Friday Aug. 18.

This comes after their first three matches that all ended in a first-place victory as well.

“I’m looking forward to playing good, I feel good,” said senior Jocelyn Hernandez before the match.

She also expressed her desire to make it to more predominant matches later in the season amid having such a secure start to the year.

“We have a strong team this year, so we look forward to making playoffs,” Hernandez said.

Behind such immense success lately are head coach Karla Ramirez and  assistant coach James Mcelyea have prepared the team for success on the court. 

“Coach [Ramirez] has been doing very good work. They talk to us, they put in the hard work, they organize everything for us,” said junior Diego Zapata.

He also mentioned the continuous winning streak so far.

“The season’s going pretty well, we haven’t lost one of the five matches we’ve played,” Zapata said. “We can go to regionals this year. Last time we played against Americas we won 13-6.”

Nonetheless, he has already began manifesting his desired outcome for the season and is confident that nobody will stop him from achieving his goal.

Photos by Selma Guerra, Joaquin Shearer, and Alexa Ramirez 

“The team is going to win and I’m going to go undefeated the whole season,” he said.

The next tennis match will be Friday morning Aug. 25 as they compete in the two- day Clint Tournament. Pebble Hills will then head to Chapin Tuesday Sept. 1.