Spartans Win First Round of Annual C.D. Jarvis Tournament

Senior+Dylan+Torres+goes+up+for+a+rebound+in+the+game+against+Cathedral+Thursday+Nov.+17.+Photo+by+Isabel+Ramos+

Senior Dylan Torres goes up for a rebound in the game against Cathedral Thursday Nov. 17. Photo by Isabel Ramos

Dayanna Esparza, Reporter

Starting off the season 2-0 the boy’s varsity basketball team continued their wining streak as they defeated Cathedral finishing with a score of 39-25, to open up their first game at the 47th annual C.D. Jarvis Tournament on Thursday, Nov. 17 to pick up their third win of the year. 

Junior Nick Sapien led the team to victory with 19 pts, and senior Dylan Torres following right behind with a total of 8pts. 

“It was a team win, we did everything right as a team, we talked and we communicated very well,” said Torres shortly after the win. 

With first-year head coach David Hernandez taking control of the team, his emphasis has been on defense, a policy that he encourages all his players to follow when on the court. 

“Its part of the process,” Hernandez said about the team’s first regular-season win against Riverside. “It’s not about me, its about these guys. Its one out of hopefully a lot this year. We are just going to keep working.”

While enforcing this defensive policy no team has been able to score 40 points on them, they hope to continue with this streak when moving up to the next round of the C.D. Jarvis Tournament Friday night Nov. 18 as they play tournament host, El Paso High School at 7:30 p.m.

Photos by Dayanna Esparza and Isabel Ramos