Volleyball Sweeps Del Valle in Home Opener

Senior+Katelynn+Armendariz+spikes+the+ball+Tuesday+night+Aug.+16+against+Del+Valle.+

Nevaeh Buntyn

Senior Katelynn Armendariz spikes the ball Tuesday night Aug. 16 against Del Valle.

Nevaeh Buntyn, Reporter

Coming back home from the road with their loss against Pearce High School, Pebble Hill Lady Spartans swept their first home game of the season against Del Valle High School, in 3 consecutive winning sets to take the win.

Starting the game of strong over the Conquistadors, senior Katelynn Armendariz, who ended the game with 7 kills and 9 digs, hits a serve for a controlling 5-1 lead.

Being that it is Armendariz’s last year, she give it her all to make sure her team gets the win.

“Volleyball has always been my passion so seeing it come to an end is very heartbreaking for me,” said Armendariz after the win. “Being one of the older girls, I hope to leave positivity.”

With multiple blocks from Kyra Hall and Desiree Soto, Pebbles takes the first set with a score of 25-8. Being that the first win had such a big gap the Spartans had to stay focused to continue the same momentum into the second set.

Another pivotal player, junior Victoria Leyva who collected 3 aces, 5 digs and 2 assists, commented on how the team played collectively on Tuesday night.

“Today was really consistent, which lead to the winning outcome,” Leyva said. “We played hard, we played to our highest potential. It was a slow game, especially with our crowd being dead but the next home game should be exciting.”

Volleyball is in San Angelo, Texas for the Vianney Tournament this weekend, starting pool play against Lakeview High School Friday Aug. 19. They will come back and prepare for their first district opener as they welcome the Montwood Rams Tuesday night Aug. 23 at 6:30.