The Teal Tribune

The Student News Site of Pebble Hills High School

The Teal Tribune

The Teal Tribune

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Girls’ Win Canutillo Invitational; Boys’ Place Fourth

Senior+Carolina+Zarrabal+runs+in+the+Canutillo+Invitational+on+Saturday+morning+Aug.+19.+Photo+by+Isabel+Sandoval+
Isabel Sandoval
Senior Carolina Zarrabal runs in the Canutillo Invitational on Saturday morning Aug. 19. Photo by Isabel Sandoval

Amid placing in the top three in the entire race, senior Carolina Zarrabal finished with a time of 22 minutes and 32 seconds, helping the girls’ cross country team secure first place at the Canutillo Invitational on Saturday morning Aug. 19.  

“I just want to remain consistent in my efforts and keep this momentum with the girls going,” Zarrabal said. “I am determined to improve my leadership as a senior at this race and lead the team to a top three finish.”

According to Zarrabal, the team has been plagued with injuries but has found motivation to keep pushing.

“We have had a lot more injuries within the team this year, which has been quite disheartening,” she said. “Last year we had aches here and there, but nothing major. I am hoping this can pass quickly and our team can remain healthy.” 

With the goal of becoming a state qualifier, Zarrabal, wants to also mentor teammates. 

“My aim this season is to contribute to the team as much as I can and be the big sister I always wanted for the younger girls,” Zarrabal said. 

What started with ten boys and four girls when head coach Bashar Ibrahim took over the program in the ’19 season. Since Ibrahim took control, the team has seen a state qualifier, Omer Ibraham, and a girls’ team regional qualifier.

This year they have two newcomers: senior Mark Barjas, and Kareena Talavera.

Barajas, who just won a national title at USATF Junior Olympic Championships, decided to join the cross country team this year and finished in the top four in the varsity division in just his first race.

“I’m not used to running a 5k so it was tough,” Barajas said. “Running cross country was something I always wanted to do since my freshman year, I just wasn’t familiar with the sport.” 

Barajas is a multi-sport athlete and feels the more he runs cross country; it will benefit him. Barajas is also on the varsity basketball and varsity track team.

Standout freshman, Kareena Talavera, who placed fourth at the invitational, has high hopes this season. 

“It was tough but we all did good,” Talavera said. “Our goal is to get up there with Franklin and hopefully beat them.”  

Senior Mark Barajas, who just won a national title at USATF Junior Olympic Championships, decided to join the cross country this year and finished in the top four in the varsity division. 

Cross country is back in action tomorrow for the SISD Invitational at Blackie Chester Park. 

All photos by Isabel Sandoval