Pebble Hills Defeats Bel Air 42-39 In Home Opener

Sophomore Nicholas Sapien goes for a layup Tuesday night Nov. 16. Photo by Isaac Tarazon

Emily De Arman, Reporter

After a timeout called by Bel Air head coach Rob Dibler, more pressure was applied to sophomore Nicholas Sapien as he went to the line and hit two free throws to give the Spartans the lead as they pull out the 42-39 win Tuesday night November 16.  

“It was a battle and going up to the free throw line, I knew I was made for it, so I was ready for it,” Sapien said.

This close win, is the first of the season and drives the team to push forward for a promising season.

“It sends a big message that we’re something special,” Sapien said. “We are a team that you need to worry about. We’re just going to continue to get better and improve in our game and hopefully we can make the playoff run.”

In two games senior Gemani Charles, who transferred from Brooklyn New York, has already fit in with the squad and has earned a starting spot and is a key contributor.

“Team chemistry is great, everyone welcomed me with great arms,” Charles said. “I was new here I didn’t know how to fit in yet,” Charles said. “It was great, I love the energy, I really love this team. This was really a bad game for me, but my teammates stepped it up and got the win,” Charles said. 

Pebble Hills will be playing against Irvin High School in the Fabens Tournament tonight at 6.