Canutillo Edges out Pebble Hills With 51-49 Win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Yasmine Quirino penetrates and tries to hit the open player in the season opener against the Canutillo Eagles Nov. 2

Christopher Silva, Special To The Teal

With 43 seconds left in regulation, head coach Steven Lee called a timeout shortly after Payton Fields, who finished with 18 points, drained a 3-pointer. After a turnover, the Spartans got the ball back, but Fields was unable to launch a game winner as clock expired and the Eagles pulled out the 51-49 win to open the regular season.

Pebble Hills had their chance, despite entering the fourth down by five, the Spartans found some success late in the game attacking the 2-3 zone. More importantly, they seemed to slow down Eagles’ sophomore guard, Alyssa Bonilla. Bonilla had a big night, but sophomore Yasmine Avila and Yasmine Quirino made notable defensive plays.

With a break in action, coach Lee reminded his team be patient and play smart. Pebble Hills, who is fresh off their first-ever bi-district championship, lost key players to graduation, and have little experience especially in late-game situations. 

The players returned to the court, with the exception of senior Triniti Anderson, who fouled out late in the fourth quarter. Anderson, who picked up her fourth in the third quarter, played smart as coach Lee could not afford to sit her down much. In a competitive and back-and-forth game, Anderson was needed on offense and defense and lasted to almost the very end.

“It’s not my first time having four fouls, I had learn to be smart with the people that I am around with, and I had to be smart with the players I’m against,” said Anderson on playing the majority of second half in foul trouble.

As the Spartans got the ball, Avila missed the shot, but did not give up on the play as she chased down the rebound, but ended up committing the foul; sending the Eagles to the line.

With a chance to secure a win on the road, and the pressure started to build as the crowd yelled “Miss it!” but the player converted on both free throws and extended the lead.

Down by five points with 11 seconds in regulation, some fans started to get up. Avila looked for some redemption as she and her teammates pushed the ball up to Fields, who connected on another 3-pointer. 

The press was on and the Spartans tried to create a turnover, and  just like that, their prayers were answered as officials signaled that the Eagles guard stepped on the sideline.

Pebble Hills had possession with a little more than two seconds remaining. After two big consecutive plays, a third would not be out of the question. The ball was inbounded in the backcourt, but Fields could not get her shot off as time expired.

“We’re still young…we still got a lot of leaning to do, coach Lee said. “Its a learning curve, we lost eight seniors, right now we are playing with four sophomores and three juniors so… they need to learn, and eventually as the games go on, as we go on, we’ll get better,” Lee said.

Fields and other players showed their emotion while heading to their bench.

“They’re a little bit down because of the loss, but they know eventually we learn from our mistakes.”

The Spartans go on the road to play Eastlake Tuesday, Nov. 6.

Photos by Paulina Loya