Spartan Mariachi Band Performs for Coverage

Paulina Loya, Editor

Through the harsh sun and blowing wind the mariachi band  managed to preform for a photo shoot for the yearbook staff. Maraichi  performed two songs after senior Brian Rubio took action and decided to contact AV teacher, Benjamin Munguia and yearbook adviser, Christopher Silva, for an opportunity to showcase their program and their students.

“The contracts to be in the yearbook were sent out at the beginning of the year, some teachers signed, and some didn’t,” Silva said. “Some people don’t want to be featured in the yearbook or don’t want to spend club funds for pages, so we just got to move on. But Brian (Rubio), has been the only student to come visit me several times for coverage, and I admire how he took it upon himself to get coverage.

Rubio, who is a passionate musician at Pebble Hills, did not want to graduate without an opportunity to show others the talented program he is a part of.

“The Spartan Times showed a lot of stories, but nobody has ever done a story about us (mariachi) and I think it would be good,” Rubio said. “I think others should see us.”

According to students, the mariachi do not get a lot of opportunities to get coverage, but students love to hear them whenever they play. At pep rallies, the band, choir, and drumline all get to preform, but mariachi has not had the chance. 

In the border city, mariachi is something that celebrates both music and culture. The outfits and songs pay tribute to the Mexican culture. The film “Coco” has also helped depict love, culture and music. 

Junior Katelyn Macias always hears the maraichi students while on her way to the choir room and notes that they are very passionate.

“It’s not just practice, it’s the passion and dedication they have,” Macias said. “They are special, and you don’t see that often.” 

The students, who have practiced all year, and continue to perfect their craft as they will be playing for a school event March 2. The event will be their first publicized event as several students and staff with gather around to hear the strings of music. 

Photos by Paulina Loya and Marcos Andazloa/ Teal Tribune