Leon Signs First-Ever Letter of Intent at Pebble Hills High School

Daniela Segura/ Teal Tribune

Senior Alexa Leon signs with Luna College Nov. 3 in the main gym.

Daniela Segura, Reporter

Alexa Leon signed a letter of intent to play for Luna College Friday afternoon in the main gym; making her the first-ever student at Pebble Hills High School to sign a letter of intent to play at the collegiate level.

“It feels really good, originally I was from El Dorado, my sophomore year I saw people sign week after week, and so being one of the first here at Pebble Hills to sign is an honor,” Leon said.

Leon will be headed to Las Vegas, New Mexico for softball. The future Rough Rider is accepting a full scholarship.  

According to Leon, what persuaded her to accept this offer is that many of her former teammates and friends are also attending the college, alongside the fact that it is 6 hours away from home.

As a kid, she played soccer, but when she was around 11-years-old, she went home and her mother had news involving a softball tryout. Not knowing much about the sport, Leon agreed to her mother’s request and fell in love with softball.

“Originally I didn’t like it (soccer) very much,” Leon said. “I came home one day and my mother said I had a softball tryout.”

The tryout would turn into something more as it has helped secure a spot on the school’s varsity team, but more importantly, a chance to further her educational career.

Leon, who alternates between catcher and 3rd base, is eager to hit the field and open up the season this spring for her final season with the Spartans.