Geek Out, Don’t Greek Out

Jasmine Carrillo, Reporter

We have all heard the countless tales of the wild fraternity parties or the exclusive sororities. However, it has not always been this way. Greek life has been prevalent in college life since the 18th century. The comradery and structure was promising at the start but unfortunately those same themes have not presented themselves in modern Greek life. Fraternities and sororities pose a threat to college life as a whole and they are nothing more than glorified gangs. 

With over 900 million Greek members and 800 campuses in the U.S. and Canada, there is absolutely no doubt about hazing being present. According to insidehazing.com, 73 percent of students involved in Greek life have experienced some form of hazing behavior. Hazing has been a humongous issue in both sides of Greek life that has cost many students their lives. Most recently, law student, Horacio Castillo III, died by cardiac arrest from injuries such as a hematoma, cigarette burns, and damage to his upper arms. The most common form of hazing is drinking dangerously high levels of alcohol. There have been far too many deaths of students at the hands of alcohol poisoning.  

Samuel Mason, William Torrence and Nolan Burch were all victims and had all died after being severely intoxicated at the hands of their so-called-brothers. Sorority girls are at a higher risk of alcohol abuse with statistics being at a staggering 62.4 percent. On average, 25 percent of university students suffer academically while 50 percent of Greek students suffer due to alcohol consumption. Universities and colleges have no way to absolutely ensure the safety and well-being of their students. They cannot monitor every single house to ensure that there is no substance abuse or hazing present, it is simply impossible to do so. Fraternities and sororities strengthen the drinking culture in college and we cannot allow that to happen anymore. 

Sexual assault is a devastating epidemic on college campuses across the nation. Sorority members are at a greater risk of sexual assault; 25 percent of sexual assault victims were a part of a sorority according to the National Institute of Justice. Fraternities can be held to blame for these charges more often than not. 15 percent of insurance claims against fraternities are related to sexual assault cases. Of the assaults carried out, the perpetrator often belongs to a fraternity or it occurs at a party thrown by a fraternity.  

If you so happen to have your eyes set on Greek life, be ready to spend a pretty penny. Oh, and if you are looking in to sorority, be ready to spend twice as much as your male peers. On average, sororities cost about 1,280 per semester while fraternities are about 605 per semester. You will spend so much of your money and your time by pledging yourself to a house. Depending on the house, you can be charged for missing chapter meetings, formal pledging ceremonies and initiations.  You are paying for a false sense of brotherhood or sisterhood.  You are paying for someone’s acceptance and companionship.  

We must take actions and end Greek life once and for all. There is no way to manage it successfully and ensure that our youth stays protected.