Top 5 High School Movies

Brisa Borunda and Mayra Ortiz

Number 5 on the Top 5 movies is the 2004 comedy, Napoleon Dynamite. Napoleon is a boy who is very peculiar who tries to fit in the high school scene. His best friend Pedro, who speaks little to no English, launches a campaign for class president. This film was very different from other basic high school movies; it shows the eras of the early 90s where scrunchies are still in jumpsuits are still worn. The movie is easy to follow and the characters are unique and fun to watch.

Number 4 a foreign student by the name of Cady Heron, gets involved with a popular girl named, Regina George. After, she finds out Regina betrays her, her friends, Janis and Damain try to seek revenge. This film involves a lot of drama and your typical high school problems like, popularity, betrayal, fitting in, cheating, and not trying to get your name in the “Burn Book”. This teen drama has the funniest scenes which all girls can relate, it’s almost hard to get your eyes off the screen.

Number 3 another teen classic is the 1995 movie, Clueless. The protagonist is Cher, a rich fifteen-year-old girl who is a high school student in Beverly Hills. Cher and her friend Dionne take on a “project” on making the new girl, pretty and popular. This classic chick flick will make you want to grab your besties and have movie night. Cher’s great sense of clothing and funny 90s lingo makes the movie even more appealing to girls. Cher deals with everyday problems like trying to pass your drivers test, making a cute boy notice you and getting an A in debate class.

Number 2 I can’t think of ten things I hate about this film. 10 things I hate about you is an adaptation from William Shakespeare, “Taming of the shrew”. Its’ about this boy who wants to date the prettiest girl in school, Bianca. But once he finds out that she can’t date until her sister, Kat, does. He tries to find someone who is willing to tame her. The only guy who is not afraid of Kat’s stubbornness and feminism is the mysterious guy, Patrick Verona. This film has amazing characters and lots of charisma. This movie will make you fall in more love with Heath Ledger.

Number 1 The perks of being a wallflower, it starts with a freshman named Charlie who deals with coming-of-age, anxiety and depression. The protagonist makes unforgettable friendships with some upper class men and amazing memories but still, his past haunts him. Watching this film will make you appreciate high school and its life lessons it comes with it. This movie deals with LGBT problems, drug abuse and self-image. At the end, everything worked out for the better with a slight plot twist.