Pebble Hills Sweeps Del Valle In Home Opener

Fatima Alvarado, Editor

Fresh off the third place finish at the Nita Vannoy Memorial Invitational this past weekend, the Spartans continued with the momentum as they took an early lead and never looked back against the winless Del Valle Conquistadores Tuesday night.  

With only four seniors, the core of the group is filled with sophomores and juniors. Sophomore Victoria Leyva, who played a significant role in last year’s squad, will be called upon for leadership.  

“Maturity is one big thing,” said Levya on the biggest difference with her. “You can tell that I have matured a little more on my game. I don’t let little things get to me as much anymore.”

With a 3-0 lead, the Spartans continued to build on their advantage. With the student section cheering them on, Pebble Hills was able to increase their advantage and get the first set win, 25-17.

Leyva, who led the team with 11 kills heading into the match, was dropped back from offense to run the defense as libero.

With a 7-4 lead, a timeout was called by Pebble Hills. After a couple plays, freshman defensive specialist, Ariel Martinez checks in. Leyva scored an ace to give her team the 16-9 lead. Paige followed by a kill made by senior Paige Hopper. As the crowd continues to cheer, Pebble Hills created a double-digit lead and set win, 25-13.

Starting the third period, Hopper continued to be an offensive threat. Martinez showed her effort after an unsuccessful dig during the third frame. Hopper was pulled for a brief rest.

Anxiously waiting for the last point to be scored, teammates on the sidelines held up a one to show their anticipation as they won the first set, 25-16. 

“Knowing that I have been training for this and it led up to this it’s very exciting to know that my work is paying off,” said Martinez on how she feels she contributes to the team. “The nervousness has gone away since I have been playing with varsity more often and I’m ready for it.”

Head coach Sandra Portillo was ecstatic with the win and feels that her team has the talent to make playoffs.

“I told the girls this is your home, you defend it no matter what,” said Portillo after the game. “This was a great start, its barely the beginning, not the end, so we have a lot to learn. We will get there.” 

Pebble Hills will open up tournament play against San Elizario Friday night Aug. 27 at Franklin High School. The eagles are fresh off their loss against the Montwood Rams.

Varsity-Volleyball

Image 1 of 9