New Adviser Looks To Continue Strong Program

Abigail Mimbela, Editor-in-chief

After a short district-wide search, Pebble Hills selects James Brown as the new student activities director. 

The transition back to school included many changes, including those to campus leadership.

Brown is also the new student council adviser, taking the lead on a National Gold Council of Excellence and three-time TMEA Sweepstakes winning council.

A position tasked with coordinating administrative and student events on campus, as well as working with other organizations to make their plans a reality – all while abiding by proper district and campus procedures.

In his new roles, Brown carries the same objective he did as a forensics and physics teacher.

“My goal is for everyone, a student, a STUCO member, an officer, as long as they leave here as a better person, then I’ll feel like I succeeded,” Brown said.

His experience on campus and in a similar position at Valle Verde Early College High School qualified him for the job; making him the third director in school history. 

Last year, Brown was a frequent participant at student council meetings and important campus events, shadowing former director, Emily Cancellare. Growing relationships with administration, staff, and student council officers, even before his hiring.

Student body president, Alyssa Baird, reflects on her experiences with Mr. Brown and how his transition into the council has been.

“It’s been an easy transition… He is very close to his students; I know the seniors last year loved him just for his personality and how fun it is to be around him,” Baird said.

Along with other campus leaders, Brown hopes to shape the student culture by continuing and adding to campus traditions, such as the burning of the spartan, recognizing their importance to a young school’s pride. 

The first pep rally of the year is scheduled for Friday afternoon Aug. 13