Oklahoma Stomps UTEP 56-7

David Rodriguez, Reporter

After the first two drives of the game, I thought it was going to be competitive. I thought it was going to be an exciting game, but I was dead wrong.

UTEP won the coin toss and elected to defer and receive the ball in the second half. It was a smart move that most teams would have done against No. 7 Oklahoma.

Playing on the road against a powerhouse team is a difficult task so they needed to play a near-perfect game.

The crowd seemed chaotic. It could have been because it was the start of the season, but I think they were cheering after learning the news that their rival, Texas, just lost their first home opener since 1998.

The Miners kicked off and the Sooners took it down the field and scored effortlessly via a 2-yard-run by Rodney Anderson after a possession of 2:16.

College football is more than just a game; it is a passion. Only those who are the strong, brave, and fearless can keep up with the pace of the game. Though it seemed one team wasn’t keeping up with the pace.

By halftime, with a score of 35-7, the Sooners seemed to be dominating play after play. At this point, I started to feel some uncertainty in the back of my head thinking that UTEP wouldn’t score again– much less comeback and win.

With a No. 7 team in the nation, you would think that they would be a near-perfect team both in players and stats, a team that would undoubtedly bring their best.

That’s exactly what happened. Oklahoma players looked great.

Quarterback Baker Mayfield showed the nation why he is a favorite for this year’s Heisman Trophy. Mayfield completed 19 of 20 passes, 329 yards passing, and three touchdowns by halftime.

Wide receiver Mark Andrews was just flawless in his numbers as well. Andrews had a total of seven catches that consisted of 134 yards total.

Freshman tight end Grant Calcaterra scored his very first points as a Sooner via a 16-yard pass from Mayfield.

From halftime till the clock ran out, the Miners stayed scoreless. The yards, the completion, and the possession had all advanced in numbers as time was running down.

The Miners lost to the Sooners by a score of 56-7 and were completely humiliated; it was absolutely terrible.

UTEP is celebrating 100 years of their football program, however, scoring seven points and losing most of their games does not merit a celebration.