First-Hand Lessons

Junior Kaylah Rodriguez visits the ATM during lunch.

Audrie Aguilar/Teal Tribune

Ariel Castillo, Editor

An ATM was recently implemented on school grounds in April. The Sparta Business Academy partnered with GECU to create a safe and more convenient way to transact funds.

Sophomore Carlos Cardenas says the ATM is a great way to get students prepared for life outside of high school.

“It teaches students how to be financially responsible,” Cardenas said. “It’s a good way for teens to start learning how to properly handle money.”

Pebble Hills is the first high school in the Socorro Independent School District to include an ATM accessible to students, faculty and staff. Mrs. Raquel Gomez, the teacher associated with the business program, says it is here to provide a service.

“It is convenient for administration and staff because it prevents them from having to take long trips to the bank,” Gomez said. “It’s been convenient for students as well. We have been getting very good responses.”

The students participating in this business academy are excited to work alongside GECU and gain experience. The Sparta Business Academy is an advanced program available to all students in Socorro ISD who are interested in pursuing a career in finance or business.

“This gives students in the academy an opportunity to not only be employed and become a member of a professional work force but to begin learning about financial careers while still in high school,” Gomez said.

The ATM is the first step to opening the PHHS branch. The grand opening is being planned for the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year.