Spartans Continue Hot Streak And Sweep Carlsbad For Homecoming

Nathan Gonzalez II Teal Tribune

Junior Mya Sillivan looks to serve the ball against Carlsbad Sept. 12 at Pebble Hills.

Nathan Gonzalez, Reporter

Heading into Thursday night’s homecoming match with a 3-game winning streak, the Spartans were ready for action with support from both JV and freshmen teams, and drum line.

The advantage playing at home was apparent as Pebble Hills gained an early lead with a 25-18 first-set win set.

It would continue as the home team won back-to-back sets, the Spartans were one away from clinching their fourth consecutive win.

Led by junior Mya Sullivan, who had 3 kills, 5 digs, 1 block, and 1 assist, the Spartans closed out the game with ease and clinched their fourth consecutive win.

“We felt our team confidence grow, and I as well as my team knew that we had a better chance at winning the game,” Sullivan said. “Having the drum line perform as we were warming up had a great impact on the outcome of the game since it helped us carry our energy over on to the playing court.”

Head coach Sandra Portillo feels with some minor adjustments, the team will be ready for the district portion of the season.

“We have a lot of work to do-as we could tell today, but they’re just minor things that we need to work out to be clearly ready for district,” Portillo said. “My team has heart. That’s what they have. They have heart. They have dedication.”

Pebble Hills welcomes the visiting San Elizario Tuesday Sept. 17 at 6:30 p.m. for a non-district game.

Photos by Jesi Craig