Spartiatis Ektelostes Theatre Thrills the Audience with Performance of Dracula

Junior+Elizandro+Gonzalez+takes+the+stage+as+Dracula+and+attempts+to+take+a+bite+out+of+Lucy%2C+performed+by+Maria+Gonzalez.+The+opening+night+was+on+Oct.+26.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Elizandro Gonzalez takes the stage as Dracula and attempts to take a bite out of Lucy, performed by Maria Gonzalez. The opening night was on Oct. 26.

Ariel Castillo

Ariel Castillo

Ariel Castillo

Ariel Castillo, Editor-In-Chief

On Friday, Oct. 26, the opening night for Dracula took place on the main stage at Pebble Hills. What better way to kick off the fall festivities than with a spooky performance by the Spartan Thespian society.

Spectacular performances by juniors Elizandro Gonzalez (Dracula), Aaron Flores (Jonathan Harker), Maria Martinez (Lucy), and the rest of the cast made the experience all that more thrilling.

The play opened with Jonathan Harker walking down the aisle, while delivering a rather shrilling monologue, setting the tone for the rest of the production.

Once introduced to Lucy, you cannot help but notice the rest of the set and lighting used to accentuate the scenes, maximizing the intensity. In addition, their acknowledgement of time period and having been set in London was made known by the costumes, which were beautifully designed. Dracula, in particular, was the perfect image of the all-time frightening vampire. His long black cape, sharp toothed fangs, and slicked back hair made for an intriguing character.

The story of Jonathan’s imprisonment within Dracula’s castle was very well displayed. Not only were the scenes taking place on stage, but director, Israel Boswell, made it a point for the cast to interact with the audience, placing one of the characters within the crowd for a later dramatic part with Dracula.

Aidyn Curlee’s performance of Renfield was an unforgettable one. Locked up in chains, Curlee made sure the audience would be frightened and at the edge of their seats.

Dracula was a very intriguing production with very well done acting. The shrilling screams an eerie setting made way for a great introduction to Halloween. If you have yet to get the chance to watch, there will be two more showings on Wednesday, Oct. 31 and Saturday, Nov. 3.