Spartans Bury The Aztecs With 44-13 Victory To Open The Year

Hannah Aguilar II Teal Tribune

Isaiah Davis catches a 40-yard pass from Sebastian Ochoa to give the Spartans the 14-0 lead over the Aztecs Aug.30 at the SISD SAC.

Ariel Castillo, Editor-in-Chief

A new year with a different roster, a team that had to reload after losing several players, Pebble Hills looked to make their case for another playoff run and they would start off the year with a convincing win against rival, El Dorado, and open the season strong.

With the hardest regular-season schedule in their three-year program, the Spartans cannot afford to drop a game this early in the season as it would put them in a hole in a district race that usually comes down-to-the-wire.

In his first start at the varsity level, quarterback, Sebastian Ochoa, made a strong debut with four-touchdown passes in the first half. Ochoa excelled in pressure situations and made huge conversions. He played poised and never forced the issue as he spread the ball around.

“All of our offensive starters in skilled positions scored a touchdown and that makes for an offense that’s very difficult to defend,” head coach Mark Torres said. “I thought he did a very good job at taking what the defense gave him.” 

Ochoa feels that this young team has a lot to prove especially after last week’s scrimmage against the Eastwood Troopers.

“I was confident, I just wanted to go out there and play my role,” Ochoa said. “The team had a great effort. Coach talked about execution and that’s just what we wanted to come out here and do.”

Having yet to lose a season opener, the Spartans looked to control the pace early. Within the beginning of the first quarter, Ochoa connected to Devean Deal for the first touchdown of the year.

And it did not stop there as coach Torres looked to control the game early on with a no-huddle offense, which proved to work in the Spartans’ favor as they were able to build a 21-0 lead after Caleb Gerber scored his first touchdown of the night with 1:54 left in the first quarter. Gerber ended the night with over 200 yards and two touchdowns.

Anythony Romero and company put the pressure on El Dorado’s offense. Head coach David Telas, who is in his first year at El Dorado, alternated between Anthony Brown and Sebastian Morales, but could not get either quarterback going.  With 5:04 left in the third quarter, Christian Gonzalez ran it in for the Aztecs first points of the game. 

The Spartans had total control and coasted to their first win of the year, and their first win against El Dorado. 

Pebble Hills will go up against Midland High School next Thursday afternoon, Sept. 6, at 4:oo p.m. at the SISD Student Activities Complex.

Photos by: Audrie Aguilar, Hannah Aguilar and Matthew Melendez