Varsity Girls Win Bi-District Championship With a 48-42 Victory Over Midland High School

Ariel Castillo II Teal Tribune

Pebble Hills celebrates winning their first district title on Feb. 12 at Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas.

Ariel Castillo, Editor-in-Chief

In their first-ever playoff appearance, the girl’s varsity basketball team put together one of their best games of the season as they defeated the Midland High Dawgs 48-42 to win the Bi-District Championship, which is the first in school history.

The first quarter opened with solid energy and quick defense, allowing for the Spartans to gain a seven-point lead. Junior, Triniti Anderson was able to have several offensive drives to the net, putting points on the board.

The Midland Dawgs picked up their defense and capitalized on key offensive possessions; giving them a 1-point lead to end the first half.

“The toughest part about last night was making our layups,” Anderson explained. Anderson finished with a game-high, 19 points.

By the second half of the game, the Spartans were able to regain their defense and pick up their offensive rebounds.

“We need to keep our composure and remain focused,” said head coach Steven Lee as he tries to fix some things before Friday’s playoff game. “We also need to eliminate turnovers.”

According to players, coach Lee has mentioned since the start of the year that “This is our year!” and the team has bought into it.

The Spartans will continue to the next round of playoffs on Feb. 16.