Spartans Build a 21-Point Lead, Blow Away the Cougars

Photo by Hannah Aguilar/ Teal Tribune

Senior Kevin Averette brushes off a Franklin defender Sept. 29 at the SAC.

Matthew Thomas, Editor-in-Chief

Going into their first 1-6A district game this season, Pebble Hills wanted to avenge last season’s 53-28 loss that they suffered against the Franklin Cougars, and they also wanted to answer any questions regarding how they would do against a district opponent.

Opening with a three-possession lead answered all questions as the Number 2 Spartans were able to dominate the Cougars and defeat them with a score of 57-28 at the Socorro Independent School District Student Activities Complex.

The Spartans received the ball first, and were able to start the game off on the right note, converting on a 4th down with a 13-yard pass completion from Orlando Puig to Haredt Gonzalez; putting them in red zone territory early on. Soon after, quarterback Christopher Beanes was able to put the first points on the board with a 3-yard quarter back sneak.

The defense then followed up by halting the Cougars offense and forcing a punt on a 4th & 20.

Continuing to move the ball down the field was what the Spartans did as Orlando Puig connected with Kevin Averette with a 32-yard pass. Gonzalez then suffered an injury, a “hip pointer” and was taken out of the game, but morale and discipline remained strong as Puig and running back Cameron Seabrook hooked up for a 6-yard touchdown, making it 14-0.

The Spartans used this momentum on their next defensive drive, and Deiontae Moore was able to intercept a tipped ball and give the offense yet another chance to capitalize, which they did. On the very next play, Averette scored via a 35-yard touchdown pass, bringing the Spartans to a comfortable 21-point lead. The Cougars however were able to score a 15-yard touchdown pass, making it 21-7 at the half. Puig ended the first half with 2 touchdowns and 206 yards. 

The start of the second half rolled in favor of the visiting team when Franklin’s quarterback Chris Kelley scored via a 3-yard run to open up the second half and trim the lead, 21-13. It was apparent that adjustments were made at the half, but the Cougars could not stop the Spartans as they would continue what they started at the beginning of the game. Puig was able to connect with Kevin Averette on a diagonal pass resulting in an 83-yard touchdown, meriting the audience to get loud, and making the score 28-13. This created a new wave of confidence that flooded into the defense which allowed them to make yet another interception on a pivotal possession for Franklin. Caleb Gerber then continued the offensive onslaught by punching in a 3-yard run making it 35-13.

The Spartans were on a hot streak on both sides of the ball. Juan Santiago and Jonas Christmas both recovered fumbles and converted the turnovers to points by running them all the back to the end zone.

Defensively, the Spartans have been solid all year, but offensively, certain possessions showcased an offense hitting stride. For the first time this season, the Cougars allowed more than 50 points.

“We had defensive scores, and those are hustle plays, those are not shove it in your face or run up the score type of plays,” head coach Mark Torres said. “We were not looking to run up the score on Franklin, we were simply looking for a win. We were disciplined, we made explosive plays, we prevented explosive plays against us, we checked off all the boxes this week, and this is what happens when you check all the boxes off.”

Starting off district with a win at home is imperative when it comes to clinching a playoff berth.

“It feels great to get a district win, and those are not easy to come by,” Torres said. “I’m excited about the way it happened, our kids had a lot of fun tonight.”

The Spartans (4-0, 1-0 in district) go on the road to take on Coronado October 6th at 7:00 p.m. Coronado is fresh off a 36-15 win against Americas, and has won consecutive games entering the contest.