Pebbles And Pancakes In Support Of Victims’ Families

Sarah Gomez II Teal Tribune

Biology teacher Vanessa Holguin prepares her pancakes before the school day begins Monday morning Aug. 26.

Sarah Gomez, Reporter

Student council held the first-ever pancake buffet Monday morning Aug. 26 in L110 to raise funds for the El Pasoan’s affected by the mass shooting Aug. 3.

This was the second of two events planned for the month of August.

The first was an activity during all three lunches for students to design and color a pebble for a rock garden showcasing what El Paso means to them.

Student activities director Emily Cancellare organized the activities and will transfer funds out of her club account and to a foundation that will help those in need.

“100 percent of the proceeds go to the El Paso Del Norte Community Foundation, which will donate to the El Paso Victims Fund,” Cancellare said.

According to Cancellare, the goal is to raise $1000, but the experience was more.

“It was actually really good,” senior Brissa Medina states. “I think it was a great experience.”

Students supported the cause and enjoy the benefits that come with helping others.

“Honestly it feels good because you’re helping out the community and at the same time,you get to help yourself,” said senior Vanessa Urena about the benefits of the pancake breakfast.

According to students, the events might not have been big, but it was enough to show support.

“It makes us feel good that we can help the people,” senior Isabel Castivo said. “It’s very little but everything helps.”

Student council also wants to raise funds for other organizations throughout the year.

“It would be nice to do it for other fundraisers,” Castivo said.