NHS Creates Care Packages For Sun City

Junior+Victor+Nevarez+carries+a+box+filled+with+food+Saturday+morning+Aug.+16+at+the+El+Pasoans+Fighting+Hunger+Food+Bank.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

NHS Creates Care Packages For Sun City

Junior Victor Nevarez carries a box filled with food Saturday morning Aug. 16 at the El Pasoans Fighting Hunger Food Bank.

Olivia Pearson II Teal Tribune

Olivia Pearson II Teal Tribune

Olivia Pearson II Teal Tribune

Olivia Pearson and Yasmine Quirino, Reporter

Joining forces with students from Chapin High School, NHS members created a united front to help the community at El Pasoans Fighting Hunger Food Bank at 9541 Plaza Cir Saturday morning Aug. 17. The objective was to create care packages for those in need.

All lined up inside the warehouse and along the conveyer belt, students gathered to fill boxes with bags of Pappy’s Pantry Beans, canned food items, rotini pasta and other food items, which were distributed evenly.

NHS Chapter president Shayla Thai, senior Karina Contreras, juniors Victor Nevarez, and Sienna Ochoa represented the school.

“Pebble Hills NHS [is] a frequent volunteer at El Pasoans Fight Food Hunger so its nice to come back to make care packages and distribute all the food,” Thai said.

For some members, it was their first time volunteering at this organization.

“So this is actually my first time coming here and it was just so amazing to see all the contributions and donations our community has given to this particular organization, so it was just really cool to see how our community comes together and it just really defines who El Paso is,”Contreras said.

Students received four service hours, and first-hand experience on community engagement.  

“I feel very productive and helpful especially after the events on Aug. 3 it is important that Pebble Hills and the whole community come together to do as much as they can,” Thai said.

NHS will be hosting a blood drive Friday Sept. 27. in the small gym. 

Photos by Olivia Pearson and Yasmine Quirino