‘Marvel’s Spider-Man’ Is Finally Here And The Wait Was Worth It

Back to Article
Back to Article

Karla Koch/ Teal Tribune

Karla Koch/ Teal Tribune

Karla Koch/ Teal Tribune

Armando Hinojosa, Reporter

“Marvel’s Spider-Man” is currently the most talked about game amongst players. Insomniac Games, who are the developers of this game, did an incredible job putting a lot of effort to immerse the player in a living New York City.

Because it is a PlayStation exclusive, it gives them the edge over the Xbox in sales once again.  They blended Spider-Man’s original story with a new one, with old and new foes alike. This keeps the player engaged for hours on end to see what unfolds in this story.

Developers stayed loyal to the Spider-Man we all came to know and love, with his never-ending will and his quips and jokes, which they don’t over do; it actually adds to his character. They also balance out between playing as Peter Parker and Spider-Man. The use of playing as Peter Parker is usually to further the story, which does not take away from the game in the slightest.

There is also times where you play as Mary Jane. Her parts are actually more engaging than playing as Peter Parker. When you play as her, the missions are stealthy and it feels like you are playing “Metal Gear Solid.”

The combat system in this game is a great experience that most could find enjoyable. They do take a heavy inspiration from the “Batman Arkham” series. However, they modify it by complimenting the powers of Spider-Man. His web swinging and his spider senses all have a role in his way of fighting.The boss battles feel unique as well.

There are different enemies with different powers, so it’s expected to feel different. They don’t feel very linear and they offer different experiences and once again, it keeps you on the edge of your seat. However, it seems to lack a variety of unique moves and combos, and you find yourself constantly mashing the square and circle button, causing the game to feel repetitive and boring.

The game is easily a contender for game of the year. From the hours you can just spend on swinging from a visually stunning New York that stretches from the Statue of Liberty, to the far north side of Harlem. You can explore little hints towards other Marvel characters, ranging from Doctor Strange’s Sanctum, to the obvious Avenger’s Tower, to the more subtle hint of Jessica Jones and Daredevil. The little things in this game make it so much more of a live city, and it makes it feel like you, the player, are not the only thing moving around and interacting with the environment.

Other features of the game is the camera mode. It allows you to take cool shots of Spider-Man in different poses. In addition, you can also change the focus, range, filters, and add comic book styled text boxes and borders. These has the ability to add content that shows you that Insomniac was passionate about giving fans a game worth buying and playing. 

With a possible sequel or future DLC content, the game will have you playing for hours. Nonetheless, it is a game that caters to fans and casual gamers alike without taking sacrifices in the plot or straying from the source material.