Fourth Bi-Annual NHS Blood Drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fourth Bi-Annual NHS Blood Drive

Senior Jaelen Lopez smiles while donating blood during the fourth annual blood drive held in the auxiliary gym Sept. 11

Samuel Torres/ Teal Tribune

Samuel Torres/ Teal Tribune

Samuel Torres/ Teal Tribune

Carisa Gonzalez, Editor

The National Honor Society held their bi-annual blood drive with United Blood Services Sept. 11 in the small gym. For the fourth year, students, teachers, and other staff members were asked to sign-up and donate blood throughout the day.

Amanda Garay, the NHS sponsor describes it being a special event for her seeing that this year’s blood drive was held during Leukemia month and she happened to be a Leukemia survivor. She also pointed out how this blood drive allows the United Blood Services help families in tragic moments such as those who had lost loved ones Sept. 11.

“I try and donate every chance I get,” counselor, Mary Paroza said. “I’ve been donating since I was in college because I feel like it’s one of those things that I can do to give back to people that really need services.”

Each person who signed up was given a specific time slot to come give blood. Students started as early as 9 a.m. and were immediately given pamphlets to read information on what to expect.

Senior Nickolas Lopez was one of the first participants to show up in the morning and although he was one of the first people, others who had gotten there after him had finished before him. This wasn’t Lopez’s first time giving blood, but it was his first time donating at school.

“It felt pretty cool,” said Lopez. “I was cold, I had to pee really bad, but that was the only downside in it.”

Photos by: Carisa Gonzalez, Karla Kock, Luisa Caramena, and Paulina Loya

Donating blood isn’t an easy thing and can include strict requirements. Before they are allowed to give blood, they must answer a series of questions and take additional tests in order to see if they qualify. After the screening process, students or teachers can be turned away after failing to meet the requirements that are instituted to ensure the individuals safety. Senior Lluvia Hinojosa was one of the students who experienced this.

“I couldn’t donate blood because I had low hemoglobin levels, meaning that I didn’t have enough protein,” Hinojosa said. “It sucked because I really wanted to donate blood, and if I can, I’m going to try it again later on in the year.”

All the blood that was collected from the donors will go to the blood bank and will be distributed through El Paso and Las Cruces, New Mexico. Garay was relieved with the turn out in where they were able to connect around the same amount of donors as previous years.